Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Finally, moving ahead (a little)

I just got back from visiting my parents.  A few things happened that I feel will help me become debt-free.  First, my parents already paid for this half of the year’s car insurance, a savings of about $600.  Also, my dad paid ~$100 to put the car in my name and also to pay for the registration (that’s up in Feb).  I used some of this saved money to put a small dent in my mom debt ($350), bringing the amount I owe her down to $1250.  My goal is to pay her back before my birthday (2/22), and I think I’ll be able to do this if I limit my spending.  I am also counting on a bonus in February, but I have no clue how much it will be for.  I decided to go for the snowball method, and pay off my lowest debt first.  Plus, it will feel good to have the mom debt off my plate.  Sadly, I still do have to pay back ~$450 to the IRS (from an incorrect filing in 2006), which I will do tomorrow.  Also, I will need to be more active in paying off my ccard.  It expires in May, so I would like to have it paid off by then.  The balance is hovering at right around $3k.  I think I can do it!  I’m also in the process of trying to revamp my lifestyle, and trying to be more healthy and lose some weight before I’m a bridesmaid in my friends’ wedding.  I also recently found out that I have taken all the MBA classes being offered for the summer, so I have the summer free to improve myself.  I’m going to use this time to improve my Spanish skills, and possibly do some volunteer work.  I’m still undecided on whether or not I should work part time as a waitress for catered events.  It would be on my own schedule, but initially I would be out $100 to buy the uniform and for the drug test.  If I ended up not liking it, it would be yet more money down the drain.       

No comments: