Monday, March 9, 2009

The Plan is Coming Together... Sort Of

As of today, totals for Ccard 1 & 2 are : $1836 (1255+581).  I guess my plan is not completely accurate, since I didn’t take into account the finance charges I will get, but hopefully they will be negligible amounts.  I am clearing out some of my ING Funds (~$300 first, and another ~$100 later in the week) to further pay this down.  I know almost every article on personal finance stresses the importance of an emergency fund, but I would rather lose the debt that carries a ~24% apr on it (Ccard 1) before seriously contributing to an EF(or any of the other sub accounts I have at ING).  Plus, I am hoping to have my funds completely ‘free’ (i.e. : not going towards credit card repayment) by the end of April.  Some expenses (in addition to dental work) I will  be coming across soon are a dinner party this Friday, and 3 birthday presents in April (bf, sister, bf’s sister… both of our sisters are turning 21 next month!).  Even though bf has yet to get my bday present (from Feb.. which I don’t care if he gets me or not, and I don’t know what he has in mind either), he does do a lot for me, and I like to get him something nice for his birthday.  Last year I went all out for him—clothes from Banana Republic, an ice cream cake, an expensive dinner, a party at a bar/club with some friends, and a hotel room (linked to the bar/club, so we didn’t have to drive back).  Altogether, I probably spent upwards of $350.  This year, we will be heading back to his hometown and going out with some of his friends from high school.  Although I am still paying down debt, I will still be getting him a present of his choice: either fog lights or seat covers for his new truck.  Each of these cost between $150 and $200, but since he is particular, I will have him pick which one he wants online, and I will pay for it.  It is the least I can do for my awesome bf, who only charges me $200 bucks in rent and often has dinner waiting for me after a long day of work and school.  He is the best!  If not for him, all this paying down would take infinitely longer.  Also, now he has told me that I should hold all future rent I owe him in a separate account (prolly ING) and put it towards our vacation (we haven’t planned it yet, but we want to get away in the fall!).  Lastly, I must make sure my car passes inspection.  I just got a new windshield and I’m hoping the only other thing I need is new wiper blades.  Hopefully, everything will go according to plan and I won’t have to worry about anymore car maintenance!

No comments: