Sunday, September 7, 2008

Goal Eight: Get A Better Job

This is probably going to be the most difficult goal. Although my expenses are low, my debt needs to be eliminated before I leave the comfort of my job (though it doesn't pay enough). I don't want to have a gap in employment either, because I'm really scared of being without health insurance. Also, I have used up the majority of my vacation days and don't have time to take off for interviews. I think the best thing to do is to wait until I have my master's degree, and look for a better job then, but then I am losing out on all that potential income I could be earning. Also, if I stay at my current job, I am looking at a possibly decent bonus in February, and in June I will have been at my job 3 years, and will be eligible for 3 weeks of vacation. Even though my job is terribly boring with no room for upward mobility and does not pay well, I would need a significant raise to justify switching jobs, because in addition to vacation days, we can take our sick days as vacation days, we get personal days, we get our birthday off and we also get all bank holidays off. Since my family lives out of state, this time off is very useful.

No comments: